A few weeks ago, we attempted to build an algorithm to generate nonsense tech phrases that would be funny yet plausible. We shelved the project because the results weren’t very good.
This weekend we took a second look at the problem and with just a few simple changes we were able to improve the results. First, we added verbs into the mix. The original algorithm only generated sentences with an adjective followed by a noun. Second, we added more words to our word list. In hindsight, both of these seem like no-brainers.
Then we fed 100,000 of these sentences into a Markov chain and let it generate the final results. We don’t know if the Markov chain actually helps but it does make the project sound cooler.